If you work with wood products that require plastic or wood edge banding, an edge banding machine can help speed up and automate the process. These machines precisely apply edge banding strips to the edges of particleboard, MDF boards and other panel materials. This article discusses how edge banding machines work, features to consider and tips for choosing the right one for your needs.
How Edge Banding Machines Work?
An edge banding machine consists of several components that work together to apply edge banding strips:
• Feeding system – Holds and feeds the material panel into the machine. May include side-feed or top-feed rollers.
• Gluing system – Applies glue to the edge of the panel or edge banding strip. Common types of glue used are PVA and hot melt adhesives.
• Edge banding feeder – Holds and feeds the edge banding strip into the machine.
• Roller unit – Exerts pressure on the edge banding strip to secure it to the glued edge of the panel. May have adjustable roller pressure.
• Heating unit – Softens the edge banding material for better adhesion when using thermoplastic edge banding.
• Trimming unit – Cuts off excess edge banding material after application using knives or laser trimmers.
The edge banding machine applies strip material like wood veneer or PVC onto the edge of a board or panel. Clamping pressures, heat and roller action activate the glue to bond the edge banding strip securely.
Top 10 Features to Consider When Choosing An Edge Banding Machine
When shopping for an edge banding machine, consider the following features based on your needs:
Maximum Panel Size
The maximum width, length and thickness the machine can handle. Larger machines can process more types of panels.
Edge Banding Width
The maximum width of edge banding strips the machine accepts. Typically ranges from 2mm to 12mm.
Glue Application Method
Hot melt or PVA glue and how precisely the machine applies the glue.
Adjustable Roller Pressure
Allows adjusting roller pressure for different edge banding materials and panel thicknesses.
Presence of an infra-red or hot air heating system for thermoplastic edge banding.
Laser edge trimming gives the cleanest results but costs more. Knife trimming is the most basic option.
Automatic Or Manual Feed
Automatic feeding systems speed up production but cost more. Some machines allow both.
Simple or advanced PLC control panel for programming and monitoring the machine.
Wood Edge Banding Machine Speed
The number of meters of edge banding the machine from wood edge banding machine companies, can apply per minute. Faster machines are more productive.
Purchasing Price Of Machines
Cost of the edge banding machine. Higher pricing typically indicates better build quality and features.